Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Turkey Meatball Soup

This is my favorite time of year. After the hot summer sun beats down on you for what feels like endless days, the heat finally lets up and everything is cooling down. Sweatshirts, long sleeves and jackets start slowly making their appearances. I finally put up my Fall decorations after staring at the beautiful wreath hanging on the door of the house across the street for 2 weeks. My two little ones have kept me from getting out my decor early this year, but it's finally all out and up. Even the Candy Corn and Peanuts mix is out on the kitchen table as I type this up.

One of the many reasons this season is my favorite is because I break out my soups and stews again. I usually take a hiatus over the summer and we eat a lot of cold salads. I mean, who wants to choke down steaming hot chili when it's 95 degrees outside? Not me.

But, when it's 50 degrees? And I have a pumpkin candle burning? Oh, right now sounds like a great time.

Having been gluten-free for 5 years now and having just eliminated dairy from our home I'm having to rethink some of the dairy-based comfort foods I've had for many years. Goodbye Potato Soup.

But, hello Turkey Meatball Soup!

I found this recipe in a Taste of Home Magazine and with very little tweaking it was actually a very tasty, very filling, hearty soup. I served this soup with Chebe bread sticks, a light salad and fruit as side dishes.  The soup itself was pretty filling and goes a long way.

Turkey Meatball Soup

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (*I used gluten-free oats, but use whatever gf substitute is best for your family)
3 Tbsp milk (*I used Rice milk)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
2 1/2 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes (chopped)
2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
2 small carrots, thinly sliced
2/3 cup frozen corn (*Omitted by me for intolerances)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green beans
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (*Or substitute 2 cups gf chicken broth for the bouillon and water)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper

In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, milk, egg and salt. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2 inch meatballs. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in batches; drain if necessary. *Note* You may want to stick your raw meatballs in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up the meat if your turkey is too soft. They are a little hard to fry without falling apart otherwise.

In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Carefully add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment